Sunday, February 7, 2010

Project Runway for Amateurs

Slam Fashionation is recently established annual Boston College event. It's a fusion of slam poetry and fashion at the BC Artsfest. This year's theme is the four elements -- earth, air, fire, and water.

Slam Fashionation was seriously made for me. It's a dream come true, really. I'm an English major and avid poetry reader/writer, AND I love fashion. I'm entering as a designer and I'm so excited about it. Now I realize sewing Halloween costumes, taking in the waistbands of a few of my skirts, and shredding denim hardly qualifies as design experience, but seeing as my costumes and other clothes making projects have gotten more and more complicated and ambitious over the years, I'm fairly confident I'm more than capable of creating pieces that will blow everyone's mind.

I was actually assigned all four elements (lucky me) so I'm trying to put together a small but diverse collection. I'm planning on creating both dresses and separates -- I want to make pieces that are both wearable in real life, but a little out there, and obviously evocative of the natural elements.

I'm still in the beginnings of my design process. I've made a bunch of sketches, but I haven't settled for anything yet. I'm waiting to see what provided fabric I have to work with, and which models I get before I make any final decisions.

Here are some sketches:










I'm trying to work with a variety of shapes, textures, and colors focusing on a hard/soft idea. Loose and flowy paired with structured elements. Leather and linen. Chiffon with denim. Cotton with velvet. Soft neutrals in grey, white and peach paired with bold black, red, and neon. Etc. Etc.

Anyways... this is just the beginning, and I'm going to track my progress on Biased Cuts through out the semester until the final show in April. I'm excited to see what I eventually come up with!!

No comments:

Post a Comment