Friday, April 23, 2010

Live on the Web

Paris Hilton's sex tape scandal rose to prominence in the media in 2003. Facebook was launched in 2004, YouTube in 2005. This Vogue spread in 2007. Even in 2010, three years later, this editorial remains relevant.

At first glance I thought the photos looked cheap and awkward. But then I realized... since when can one imitate webcam vids and remain sophisticated? The charm of the photoshoot lies in the accurate portrayal of the uncomfortable feeling one would get upon watching an amateur sex tape, or of being on camera themselves. The editorial feels invasive, just as the Internet has become.

I'll be the first to admit I check my Facebook multiple times a day, Tweet from my phone constantly, and find at least one new humorous YouTube clip a day. Not to mention, I update this blog at least once a week. The Internet consumes any spare time I have.

My roommate wondered out loud to me once, "What did people do to pass the time, before computers were invented?"

I've been thinking about that as well. I think during the summer I want to turn off and stow away all electronics for an entire week. I'm sure it'll be difficult to do at first, but I'm willing to bet that by the end of my little experiment, I won't be missing technology at all.




















Editorial: Live on the Web

Magazine: Vogue Italia, January 2007

Models: Agyness Deyn, Blaine Cook, Coco Rocha, Denisa Dvorakova, Derek Drrell, Henry Holland, Hilary Rhoda, Jakob Hedberg, Jeremy Scott, Jessica Stam, Leandro Maeder, Maryna Linchuk, Missy Rayder, Nathan Nesbitt, Ryan Smith, Sasha Pivovarova, Suvi Koponen

Photographer: Steven Meisel

No comments:

Post a Comment