Friday, December 12, 2008

The most wonderful time of the year

I'll admit, I've always had a soft spot for the annual Victoria's Secret fashion show on CBS. It's fun, light, and less intense than Fashion Week, not to mention it features catchy pop artists and models with bodies that are so amazing they make every girl feel inadequate. 

But best of all it is one of the most extravagant, ridiculous shows and it's all about underwear which makes it ten times better. I'm not going to lie... I love shopping for underwear and I've spent way too much money on it over the past few years, especially underwear from Victoria's Secret. As overpriced as it is, and as annoying as shopping in the Pink section can get when twelve-year-olds swarm the displays, cooing over the age-inappropriate lime green thongs and the little stuffed dogs that come free with purchase, I love this company. I love the plush pink and gold furniture that sits randomly in the middle of the store. I love the comfy Collegiate Collection (go BC!). I love the racy, lacy bra and panty sets with the rhinestones and feathers and bows that I make fun of now but probably will wind up buying in a few years when I actually settle down with one guy. Hell, I even love the high-waisted, full-coverage granny panties that are there waiting for me to turn 50.

But most of all I love the fashion show.

And making fun of it.

Let's start out with some traditional examples from this year's show...






And now onto the fun part...


I don't know how I feel about this ensemble as lingerie, but watching the show, I couldn't help but think how cool those sequined pants would look paired with an oversized white v-neck shirt from American Apparel and a short, tailored black blazer.


Two words: grandma's sheets.


Okay... nothing about this outfit matches... it's all brown and black and green and red AND light blue(?). Ugh.


Can-can girl taken to a whole new level.


Perfect. If I ever have a boyfriend my parents don't like, I can stick a Douzen-trellis out my bedroom window for him to climb up.


Well at least if you went outside in this your neck would be warm...


Introducing... plastic lace!


Reminiscent of the crotch-less full-body stockings found at sex shops like Condomworld. (If you ever visit Boston, Condomworld on Newbury is a place you must see.)


Okay... the designers didn't even try with these. It was like they ran out of time at the very end, thought to themselves "How can we make this look more Amazon-y?" and decided random lacy underwear paired with ugly leather belts would do.


This WINS the ugly contest.


I really do love the ones with the huge wings. I really liked how Adrianna's wings trail off at the bottom into two-toned scarves. Gorgeous.


Big bow for an even bigger star.


The butterfly wings with the little butterflies attached was a stunning concept.


Julia Dunstall's cobweb wings were my absolute favorite!

And now that the show is over, I'll be counting down to next year's!

No comments:

Post a Comment